Spousal Support

Spousal Support

For many people, deciding to end a marriage comes with a hit to their standard of living—especially if their spouse has been the primary breadwinner. If you are facing the possibility of financial difficulty or are unable to support yourself fully in the wake of a divorce, you may be eligible for some form of spousal support. As a family law attorney for nearly twenty years, Hollie A. Lemkin has extensive experience in helping her clients receive the support they need to sustain themselves for the next chapter of life.

Resolving Disputes Creatively Can Save Time and Money

get started

At the Law Offices of Hollie A. Lemkin, we’re committed to helping you get the spousal support you need in an amount that is fair and reasonable. Call our offices for more information.

Spousal Support

Other Things to Know

California recognizes three possible types of spousal support:

  • Temporary support—enables a lower-earning spouse to cover expenses while the divorce is in process. Temporary support ends when the divorce is final.
  • Rehabilitative support—helps a lower-earning spouse gain additional education and job skills until they are self-sufficient.
  • Permanent support—generally awarded on an indefinite basis, usually reserved for marriages lasting more than 10 years and/or when the lower-earning spouse is unable to enter the workforce. For shorter marriages, “permanent” support typically lasts half the length of the marriage; for longer marriages, it might last until the recipient remarries or until it can be proven they no longer need it.

Spousal Support

Determining How Much to Ask For

Judges take a lot of factors into account when deciding whether to award spousal support—including the length of the marriage, income versus expenses, health and earning ability of the spouses, etc. There is no set formula to determine how much to ask for (or how much will be awarded), but a general rule of thumb is that it should be enough to maintain the customary standard of living you had when you were married.

Modification of Spousal Support

In many divorces, domestic violence, custody or other family disputes, the children If a significant life change occurs after your divorce, it may be necessary to go back and request an adjustment to the amount of support you receive. If you lose your job, for example, you may need at least a temporary increase in support. We can work with you and your ex, either by mediation or in the courts, to make sure you are receiving what you need moving forward.


What Our Clients Say


we’re here for you

Contact Us

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.