How Divorce Mediation Works
Unlike the conventional divorce process in Orange County where each spouse hires an opposing attorney for litigation in court, divorce mediation involves both parties sitting in a room with a mediator who guides them through the process of ironing out a settlement together. Through the process of discussion and negotiation, the couple works in a non-adversarial manner to resolve all the questions related to their divorce or dissolution of marriage, including child custody and/or visitation rights, division of property, child/spousal support, etc. The mediator advises the couple on the provisions of the law and helps them work through disagreements to find effective compromises, hence the term divorce mediation. Once they have agreed on the terms, the mediator submits the finalized settlement to the court for approval.
The Law Offices of Hollie A. Lemkin in Orange County specializes in family law mediation services. Contact our experienced attorney today to help you decide and settle out of court. We resolve disagreements about marriage, parenting, custody, and support in Orange County.
Resolving Disputes Creatively Can Save Time and Money
For couples looking for the least traumatic, least expensive path of divorce, we cannot recommend divorce mediation enough. As a certified mediator in Orange County, Hollie A. Lemkin has helped hundreds of couples negotiate their own divorce settlements peacefully through the process of divorce mediation, allowing them to part ways amicably and fairly while maintaining their dignity.
Advantages of Divorce Mediation versus Litigation
Mediation offers a wide range of benefits for divorcing couples as opposed to litigating in court:
- Couples stay in control. With divorce mediation, you and your ex get to make all the important decisions regarding your divorce. In litigation, the judge makes those decisions for you based on California law.
- Less expensive option. Mediated divorces typically cost significantly less than hashing out a divorce in court. On average, couples will pay at least three times as much for a litigated divorce compared to divorce mediation.
- Private and confidential. Everything that happens in divorce court becomes a matter of public record, including a family’s finances and “dirty laundry.” With divorce mediation, you get to keep private family matters private.
- More amicable option. Since divorce mediation takes a non-adversarial approach and allows for meaningful discussion, most couples who mediate their divorce maintain an amicable relationship afterward — an added plus if children are involved.
- Better for the children overall. With divorce mediation, most settlements usually involve less trauma for the children since the parents are both cooperating. Additionally, the children can avoid the undesirable possibility of testifying in court.
If you’re interested in going through with divorce mediation as opposed to litigation, our Orange County divorce expert can help you today.
Is Mediation Right for Everyone?
No, not always. For divorce mediation to work, both parties must be willing to come to the table with a spirit of cooperation, and in some cases that’s just not possible. Divorce mediation is also irrelevant if domestic violence or other types of abuse are involved. But for divorcing couples who have the ability and willingness to negotiate, discuss and compromise as necessary, divorce mediation is quite often the most peaceful and least expensive option. To learn more about whether divorce mediation is right for you, contact our Orange County divorce experts today.
Family Law Attorney in Orange County, California
For nearly two decades, the Law Offices of Hollie A. Lemkin has been exclusively devoted to the practice of family law. As a client-focused law firm in Orange County, our mission has always been to put the needs of family first, even over the drive to earn money. Because family law is our passion, we find it highly rewarding to see our clients experience the joy and relief of a positive outcome, especially knowing the interests of their children have been protected in the process. This is why we insist on divorce mediation first. Contact our office in Orange County to help you resolve disagreements about marriage, parenting, custody, and support.