The first determination is when was the account opened and did it take place during marriage. If prior to marriage, then the party who opened the account and made contribution will receive credit for the initial deposits and all accumulations on those amounts. If the account was opened during marriage, then the account will divided between the parties. In either case a process called a QDRO or Qualified Domestic Relations Order will be required.