Law Offices of Hollie A. Lemkin, APC
Call For A Free Consultation

Special child custody considerations for school days and holidays

Being a co-parent means that you still have to take your ex-wife's needs into account when child custody decisions need to be made. On top of this, you have to think about other scheduling issues like holidays and school schedules.

When there are conflicts with scheduling that occur, you should address those as soon as possible. This gives you and your ex a chance to work through the issue with negotiations without having to try to rush things. Here are some points to think about:

Keep changes in writing

In order to avoid conflict and confusion, you need to keep all changes in writing. Texts, emails and parenting apps are good places to get this done. You aren't likely going to have to continually confirm with your ex what the new plans are. Instead, you can refer to the communication to find out what you need to know. If there is a question about something or a disagreement about the new plan, you can look back to see what was said.

Be open to proposed changes

When school is out for a half day or a vacation, you and your ex might need to change the schedule. Think about these changes carefully and try to keep an open mind. There are some instances in which you might be able to take off of work to spend a half day with your child, which means that you could have quality time together even if it isn't officially your day. Or, the opposite might happen and your ex might be able to spend the day with your child. This is likely going to be an option that your son or daughter likes much better than having to spend the day with a babysitter.

Consider extended family

The holidays are a time when families get together. When extended family members are in town, your ex might want to bring the child to see them. This is understandable and you might want the same thing if your family comes to visit. If you or your ex plans to travel to see family for the holiday, this needs to be discussed now if the travel is going to impact the custody schedule.

You and your ex should work through these matters together. When conflicts come up that can't be solved through negotiations, you might need to turn to the court for assistance through a modification petition.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact The Firm In Costa Mesa

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact Us

COSTA MESA, CA 92626-7122

Phone: 949-734-4788
Fax: 949-340-7368
Map & Directions